Is your lighter solid gold or gold plated?

General Announcements, Rules, Important Things.
Xero
Site Admin

Is your lighter solid gold or gold plated?

Post by Xero » Thu May 02, 2013 11:07 pm

I get this one all the time so I thought I'd make a global post:

The vast majority of boutique lighters like ST Dupont and Dunhill are brass lighters, that are plated in gold, silver, or lacquer.

Solid gold, silver, or platinum lighters are quite uncommon and fetch quite a premium due to that, but they're also usually properly stamped as such which means it's pretty unlikely that you'd just run across one by accident, or manage to get a steal on one. That's not to say it's impossible, but it's definitely not probable.

The real reason it's so easy to tell is that there's laws requiring most gold, silver, and platinum products to be properly stamped for import/trade, and as far as I know most of those laws have been around since long before these lighters were ever produced, so they should all be stamped with something like "18k" or "14k" or whatever value the gold/silver is rated. Some of them also specify a percentage, as in what percent of gold it is.

No marking generally means it's plated. Markings like "20u" or "20 micron" indicate plating thickness, but again, this indicates plating. If in doubt, your lighter is probably plated!

kanenas

Re: Is your lighter solid gold or gold plated?

Post by kanenas » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:47 am

Do you happen to know which parts in a real gold lighter are solid gold? It is just the outer casing? Thanks.

Xero
Site Admin

Re: Is your lighter solid gold or gold plated?

Post by Xero » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:21 am

I believe it's typically the outer casing and the lid, but I'm not 100% sure on that, truth be told, i'm not rich enough to own one! I imagine the actual internal parts are still brass, but maybe some of the pieces that are visible up top could be gold?