May be interesting case? Is my Ligne 1 original?

All about the luxury lighters from Simon Tissot-Dupont
phil05

May be interesting case? Is my Ligne 1 original?

Post by phil05 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:54 am

Hello! Seems to be original, but: 1. S/N Number is with too equal symbols (not engraved, they are stamped) 2. The little stamp with the wing says L.A. Dupont, not S.T.Dupont 3. There are plastic parts inside – the little case for the spring and ball for the cap movement. And 4. The gas valve is complete different, i cannot fill gas.

But they are also equal number stamp in the body and cap, but some bigger, as in my other original Ligne 1. I know that fake has no stamped nubers on body and cap inside (?).

Please see the attached pictures. Sorry, the comments are in german language...
Thank you very much in advance, if answer is possible.
Attachments
DSC_1988aaa.JPG
DSC_1988aaa.JPG (231.81 KiB) Viewed 5792 times
DSC_1991aaa.JPG
DSC_1991aaa.JPG (229.35 KiB) Viewed 5792 times
369991878fcae141a9454b966836d3d18.jpg
369991878fcae141a9454b966836d3d18.jpg (91.09 KiB) Viewed 5792 times

Xero
Site Admin

Re: May be interesting case? Is my Ligne 1 original?

Post by Xero » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:37 pm

something definitely seems fishy about that ligne 1. i've never actually seen a counterfeit ligne 1, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

There are indeed variations of the fill valve - some variations don't work very well with those adapters. I have seen a ligne 1 small with a fill valve that is remotely similar to this one, where the valve has no hole in the center, but the ring around it didn't stick up quite like it seems to in the picture here.

is there any paint under the fill valve cap indicating gas type?

phil05

Post by phil05 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:26 am

Thank you! I spoke already with one old lighter collector, he said, that the lighter is original, may be special hand made variant – I will post exact information later. The fill valve is really strange, the valve works not in direction inside, but outside, must be extracted slight during filling… This pin without hole has one gap and something in the adaptor must catch the valve in this gap and extract it slight direction outside to open. I cannot find this adapter, may be somebody can advise how to fill trough this valve? Many regards.

phil05

Post by phil05 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:43 am

The cap – there is no paint inside, may be because no Dupont gas bottle any color fits this valve. And the windings are on the cap outside, not on the longer inner part of the cap, as in other normal valve Dupont lighters. The valve has no windings inside, the windings for the cap are in the body of the lighter. But this cap seems to be also original and very exactly and fine made.

gotalite

Post by gotalite » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:01 am

I have no idea on how to fill that lighter. The valve looks very strange to me. Looks to me you would need a large adapter to go around the valve.

The refill cap looks to me, in the second picture, to be rose gold, and not yellow gold as the lighter is. So its possible that it is a replacement, or from another Dupont lighter. It is strange that there is no paint underneath the cap. It could be an aftermarket cap (not from ST Dupont), or a replacement (from ST Dupont)

I think that it is a original Dupont, not a counterfeit. Probably an older one from the 1970s or earlier and could be why it is stamped LA Dupont. I have well, have not seen a fake ST Dupont line 1's to date. I have seen fake Line 2s, Gatsbys, Line D, and D light lighters.

As far as it being hand made, I'm not sure about that.

Also the refill valve is a possible replacement part too, maybe from a different brand of lighter with the same size threads on the bottom.

Xero
Site Admin

Post by Xero » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:32 pm

On the lighter I saw before with a valve like that, i think it took standard yellow dupongaz. It was a small silver ligne 1 with the tiny squares pattern and gold plated accents on the inside. Honestly, I'd order a red and yellow dupongaz and see if you can fill it either of those...they will fill those weird valves, at least that I've seen before.

defs

Post by defs » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:43 pm

phil05

hello every one.
Thing is that i also get one ST Dupont lighter with this strange valve.
How you fill the lighter?
Valve looks exactly how in yours pictures posted above.