Rollagas, butane flavor of cigars.

Vintage or otherwise from Alfred Dunhill, you'll find it here.
ahitofmeth

Rollagas, butane flavor of cigars.

Post by ahitofmeth » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:21 am

I bought a rollagas earlier this month. Immediately I notice that when using it, I get a different taste on my daily cigarillo, harsher and a less deep flavor than when I usually light them with a disposable lighter. The main thing is that it becomes very harsh and unpleasant. Even worse than when i've had to light up with a zippo. I've tried different methods of lighting, distance, draw etc and nothing seems to work. I've also noticed the same thing when I use the Dunhill lighter fluid on a different lighter for lighting my cigars, albeit a little less harsh than when using the rollagas.

Anyway, at this point, I'm almost certain it's the butane, although I did not notice it to be as harsh when I used the Dunhill gas on my IM Corona lighter last month before I sent it back for quality issues and got the rollagas instead.
I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed it with this combination of lighter and butane when lighting cigars, or why I seem to notice it to be a little harsher when using the Dunhill butane with the rollagas compared to a cheaper refillable lighter. Maybe it's the temperature of the flame produced or some other factor I'm not aware of but i've definitely noticed a difference in taste when using it.

simonthorby

Re: Rollagas, butane flavor of cigars.

Post by simonthorby » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:29 am

i think there are cleaner butane than the Dunhill stuff maybe you should try

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1CAN-NEWPORT-BU ... 19d66851ce

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Vector-Buta ... 230fe6e680

ahitofmeth

Post by ahitofmeth » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:43 am

Thanks. We don't have access to any of those brands here. I've looked around and seen Zippo, Ronson and Givenchy which is 24usd per bottle which is out of my price range. There is also a local brand "refined in the usa" which I have been using without any problems for many years albeit on cheaper novelty lighters. I'll try the zippo butane first to see. I don't care if it's triple refined or not as long as it doesn't alter the taste of my cigars.

One thing i was thinking, if anyone knows, maybe there is some sort of residue from a chemical they use in the manufacturing process of the lighter that may still be present and may also play a role in affecting the flavor.

simonthorby

Post by simonthorby » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:14 am

yeah not sure ive only owned second hand dunhills and never had that problem, unless i was using cheap gas, its possible some residue might be left on it but i would think Dunhill would be ontop of that. but you could turn up the gas up full so its spurts out the top, maybe it will clean something, are you sparking the lighter when the cigar is near? maybe some flint residue is getting on your cigar as that can definitely effect taste.

ahitofmeth

Post by ahitofmeth » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:28 am

I never thought of that. I did recently change the flint recently to that of a leftover my my IM Corona lighter and detected no change in flavor. I've refilled it and purged it several times, i'm pretty sure the inside is clean and free of contaminants. I guess now the only thing I haven't tried is to change the butane, hopefully I'll have time to get some this week and see if there's a difference.